Over the last few days at my office most employees seem to have picked up a sniffle, cough, hack or sneezing disease which I have been completely immune to. At this time of year I often wonder what it is exactly that gets people so run down that they inadvertently let sickness in. In the hopes that they would help themselves with a little help, I passed on some wisdom to them via email.
I am in the in-house health and nutrition consultant after all. Maybe you’ll let some of this work for you too!
” From the looks and sounds of it, we are under attack by some kind of virus or several viruses. There are a number of things you can do to prevent illness and speed up recovery.
- Sleep – the body needs recovery time. There’s an article in the kitchen for you to read up on.
- Exercise – don’t stagnate & stress out. Keep strong and purge physical and emotional toxins with movement. Any kind, 25 minutes per day.
- Water – at least 1 litre per day to keep fluids moving and toxins with them. If you have trouble remembering, try this app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/watango-daily-water-intake/id875850852?mt=8
- Vitamins & minerals – if you don’t eat your fruits and veggies, you’re going to get sick. If you have a hard time getting your daily intake on track, try supplementing with QUALITY vitamins: https://sashangray.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/good-vitamins-finally/
- Nutrition – you are what you eat. Fast food, lots of meat & dairy slow down your system and tax it heavily JUST to digest what you’re eating. If your gut spends its life digesting it’s taking a lot of energy away from your immune system. You’re also taking away precious recharge time with MORE digestion. Eat HIGH alkaline foods that are easily digested.
- Things to avoid – alcohol, mass amounts of caffeine, drugs, late nights, stress, mass amounts of meat.
- Hygiene – throw away old Kleenexes immediately after use, wash hands frequently, wipe down your workstations daily, use hand sanitizer, wash hands after shaking hands, opening doors and before you eat, cough/sneeze into your arm, wear a mask while contagious or out in public.
- Sleep : your body needs rest. Put down the remote and have a nap, turn on the humidifier while you do!
- Fluids : Warm water with lemon and honey. Hydrating and encourages mucus to take virus away. Also see prevention.
- Nutrition : Warm soups like garlic or bone broths – clears sinuses and packed with nutrients. Try a “hot toddy”. Alcohol takes the medicinal qualities of foods/herbs directly to our bloodstream.
- RECIPE: 1 oz brandy, ¾ cup hot water, 1 tsp honey, juice of ½ lemon – add ginger or licorice root or any other immunity boosting herb. Steep for 5-10 minutes and drink.
- Herbs: Echinacea, ginseng, elderberry tea, ginger, turmeric, licorice root, garlic.
- Neti pot: This little thing clears out your sinuses and reduces pain/pressure: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-11/neti-pots You can purchase them at Community for sure. Some mainstream drugstores are selling them as well.
Hygiene is the most important part of keeping healthy. If you keep clean it’s half the battle. The other half of the battle is staying healthy. I have an annual talk I used to give on influenza, in part of it I asked the audience:
“If you were given ONE car to drive for the rest of your life, how would you treat it?”
Your body is that vehicle and a reflection of who you are and what matters to you most – start with YOU. If you are healthy and happy and taken care of you can help your family and friends do the same for themselves.
Stay healthy over the holidays people!!