What to make for breakfast with a house full of people and nothing in the cupboards? Vegan banana pancakes of course. Silly. Add this recipe to your repertoire for a delish and healthy breakfast for the masses.
6-8 VERY ripe bananas
1 tbsp vanilla extract – try my homemade recipe!
2.5 cups unbleached organic flour – swap for spelt flour if you’re gluten free
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 cups almond/nut milk
4 tbsp unrefined organic sugar
Avocado oil/coconut oil for pan
Mash bananas in bowl set aside 2 for garnish. Blend with milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
You can play with the consistency of your pancakes here. I like them a little more thick so if they are too thin, I just add a bit more flour. Be fearless, pancakes cannot be screwed up. Promise.
(But if you do screw them up..let me know)
Pour into a cast iron pan coated with coconut or avocado oil, heated to medium heat. Cook until bubbles appear then flip. Cook to a golden colour.
Serve with sliced banana and organic REAL maple syrup
Quick health facts:
If you think bananas are just for monkeys, think again.
- Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.
- Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.
- Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps by eating a banana.
- Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
- Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation.
- Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.
- Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.
- High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
Eating Bananas Aids Digestion
- Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
- Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
- Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
- Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.
- Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
- Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
Natural Cures From A Simple Banana
- Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
- Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
- Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
- Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness.
- Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.
- Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana.
- Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.
- The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium to speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal.
- Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against the wart and taping it in place.
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine.